Director, Software Development
Promoted to Director, Software Development in a newly formed center of excellence for Product R&D, Enterprise IT Software, and DevOps. Drove adoption of OKRs with individual contributors and managers. Strong focus on building a great engineering culture and continuous coaching.
- Commercialized R&D capabilities into new commerical product introductions with highly influential customers, resulting in a rollout of IoT equipment and $40+ million in new revenue.
- Expanded controls electronic and software strategy to include larger percentage of product offerings, driving down the cost of electronics, and increasing standardarization of parts for service business.
- Introduced Mobile Application development with cross platform development (Xamarin) and designed and built IoT integration with Bluetooth 5.0 Mesh profiles.
- Expanded DevOps organization to include Manufacturing IT-Ops, and Customer Service.
- Played a lead role navigating and eventually successfully mitigating a large scale cyber attack (Conti) over the entire enterprise (large scale ransomware attack).
- Developed Innovation strategy for new technology introduction including Vision AI, Big Data Mining for equipment performance
- Lead global hiring initiatives to expand our R&D and IT software groups.
- Drove adoption of cybersecurity standards to meet new regulatory demands for IoT Devices (GDPR / FCC / UL / ISA/IEC 62443 / EU Cybersecurity Act).
- Helped to design/build a culture of coaching for technical leads / managers for division.
- Elevated Software as a key element of customer influence, and built and maintained key customer relationships to drive new sales / support customers.
- Built and evangelized technology roadmaps across the enterprise, culminating in adoption of Salesforce (CRM/Service/CPQ), adoption of middleware (Jitterbit), and drove migration/elimination of custom applications in favor of platform solutions
Manager, Software R&D
Promoted to Manager and continued to drive new product development of teams located in US and Philippines. Focus on innovation with team members, capturing new product development opportunities, and knitting together a global team of software engineers.
- Lead teams to convert/standardize to FreeRTOS real-time operating system for embedded microcontrollers (STM32/dsPic33/PIC24/PIC32/ESP32/IMX.RT), and Yocto Linux for embedded linux microprocessors (NXP IMX6 family).
- Hired / trained / and ran a newly formed DevOps organization for all software components CI/CD (firmware / edge / cloud / IoT).
- Selected and implemented QA Test Management software for release management, with hardware in the loop testing for embedded solutions.
- Selected and implemented automated test frameworks using behavior driven development (BDD) for embedded and cloud software solutions.
- Innovated on several novel concepts for Smart Kitchen equipment + cloud integrations.
- Participated in new product innovation process with on-site ethnography, and voice of customer visits.
- Hired / Coached / mentored software engineers (firmware / desktop / cloud) in US and Philippines
Chief designer and technical lead for Duke’s IoT platform for use in commercial kitchens. Designs elements: erlang/c/c++ embedded firmware, mutliple Point of Sale protocol integrations, custom TCP real time protocol, IoT protocol (mqtt pub/sub), and cloud SaaS platform (php/python).
- Lead global technology strategy for development, pilot, and commercial rollout of connected kitchen system for global scale fast food restaurants.
- Prepared, and conducted live customer facing technology demonstrations to high level executive teams.
- Drove customer integrations with sales team at global fast food brands conventions.
- Integrated external software organizations with internal product R&D teams, as well as newly acquired company in the Philippines.
- Drove adoption of Agile Scrum across teams and enterprise.
Distributed Software Engineer
Jumped at opportunity to join a company and work directly on an open source software product called Kazoo.
- Placed in customer facing roles (integration / 24/7 engineering support) in less than 3 months
- Made presentation evangelizing use of Erlang programming language at Developer convention.
- Developed fun integration examples to show use cases for new features (Date Buoy - Texts when a date is not working) and Meme.ittu.me (Fax / SMS a meme at lightning speed).
- Shift day to day development from predominantly LAMP with relation databases (MySQL, SQL Server, Postgres) to document based database (BigCouch), Erlang, and RabbitMQ messaging queues.
- Performed key load testing integrations with customer engineering teams, and product development teams.
Senior Web Engineer
Consultative software development for wide range of businesses ranging from small-midsize ecommerce applications, to large enterprise application development.
- Built test scheduling software used for Pearson Publishing and University of Central Florida, East Carolina University, and Florida International University.
- Customized, and launched several large Magento E-Commerce platform solutions including: a fitness equipment manufacturer, a dietary food manufacturer, a large mens apparel retailer, and a high end fabric retailer
- Created workflow software for Parts Distributors and the U.S Army, as Agricultural Seed Sales firms working with large agricultural manufacturers and farmers.
- Designed, and executed migration of hosting platform from small custom servers to scalable cloud architecture using XenServer, NetApp SANs, Brocade Fibre Channel networking.
B.S Computer Science
- 2004 Co-recipient of Computer Science award
US20170065117A1: Food processing management system
US20200349795A1: Food preparation apparatus having a virtual data bus
US20210369049A1: Appliance component fault detection
US20220095836A1: Food holding apparatus
US11729015B2: Network system having a network appliance
US20230263339A1: Networked food preparation apparatus
Note: Above patents include awarded, pending, and abandoned states
- Dad. 4 kids middle school and under. Defacto Math homework tutor.
- Coach. I like to keep coaching and mentoring outside of work.
- Maker. I have tweaked my Ender-3 V1 about as much as I can - remote camera, auto bed leveling, etc.
- Student. Security is deeply intertwined in everything we do (at least it should be). Graduate degree at Georgia Tech OMSCS started, and then paused. Planning to restart soon.
- Tinkerer. BeagleBone Black, Raspberry PI*, ESP32. I have spent the last 10 years making IoT things at work, I like to make them at home too.